FAQ | British Columbia School Protection Program



Q.      One of our PAC groups has raised funds for the purchase of new playground
          equipment. Is this equipment covered by SPP?

          This equipment is now owned by the SD and would be covered by SPP, subject to the terms
          and conditions of the property coverage.

Q.      We have SD owned playground equipment that has been installed on city property. As
          this land is not owned by the SD, is the equipment covered by SPP? 

          Yes, this equipment would be covered by SPP, subject to the terms and conditions of the
          property coverage. However, to avoid confusion we recommend that coverage and
          ownership be addressed in a Joint Use Agreement with the city.

Q.      Several employees in our SD have requested use of the weight rooms, gyms, shops,
          and playing fields for their own personal use after hours, evenings and weekends.
          What paperwork, if any, should we have in place?

          We would consider these groups of employees using SD facilities for personal use to be like
          any other community user group. There should be a User Group Agreement in place with an
          indemnity. Please refer to the Risk Management section for information on community user

Q.      Should students drive their own vehicles to sporting events and field trips, and be
          allowed to take other students as passengers?

          Please refer to the Student Transportation section under Risk Management.

Q.      Our school district has a construction project for a new school. What forms are
          required to initiate coverage?

          The following form found in the Forms section, needs to be completed and forwarded to SPP:

Q.      As schools begin planning field trips and outdoor activities for the school term, what
          resources are available to assist in planning?

          The SPP website has numerous articles that will assist with planning field trips.  The resource
          Youth Safe Outdoors & Off-Site Experience Safety for BC Schools, is also available in most
          school districts.

Q.      What should schools/school districts be considering when selecting volunteers?

          Please refer to the Volunteers article found under Publications, Articles by Title.

Q.      What is adequate playground supervision?

          Please refer to the Supervision - What is Adequate Playground Supervision? article found
          under Publications, Articles by Title.

Q.      What risk management practices should be in place to avoid student injuries in shops?

          Proper instruction, safe equipment and careful supervision should be in place to avoid student
          injuries in shops.  Please refer to the Industrial Education Safety is Everyone's Responsibility 
          article found under Publications, Articles by Title

Q.      What does an employee or a volunteer need to know about driving their own or a
          borrowed vehicle for school district activities?

          When an employee or authorized volunteer driver has an accident while operating a licensed
          vehicle for an approved activity, the owner's automobile liability is primary.  However, SPP
          has in place a special ICBC coverage that bridges the gap that may exist between the
          owner's automobile liability limit and $1,000,000.00.  SPP provides coverage in excess of the
          $1,000,000.00 or the owner's automobile liability limit.

          There are two possible circumstances which will disqualify the driver and/or vehicle owner
          under the Schools Protection Program:

1.     Where the vehicle is used for a purpose other than what it is insured for under the
        owner's primary insurance;

2.     When the vehicle is operated in violation of any motor vehicle regulation or section of
        the criminal code. Refer to the article Automobile Liability for additional information.

          Note:  Personal belongings contained within a vehicle are not insured by either ICBC or SPP.
          The driver should look to their homeowners/tenants insurance for this coverage.  SPP does
          not carry insurance for physical damage to employees' or volunteers' owned or borrowed
          vehicles.  It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to insure physical damage directly with
          an insurer.